Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Chak's Follow-Up and Take: The New Face at KRTY named McGirk

Three days after my initial blog was posted about Adam McGurk, McGurk was surprised about how I ended up writing about him, just only after my initial test of listening to KRTY on Saturday mornings and instantly enjoyed McGurk a lot. I wrote my blog about the new face at the radio station the week after a local news format was discontinued in Santa Clara County. That person's name is Adam McGurk, a KRTY personality, who I wanted to review on him after the local news format changed to classic country music at KLIV, but maintaining sports and local essential information. And like my last blog about McGurk, nothing is negative about what I'm about to write...

Although country music is not necessarily the only type of music to listen to, country music is a special type of music that reminds me of home. I would sometimes mix country music with electronic dance and techno, as well as adult complementary and rap to showcase some of the best of my favorites from all genres. I also have listened to music in Cantonese and Mandarin, as well as in Spanish, French, Russian, Korean, and Japanese (the latter two I focus on is related to anime music). At least one of the songs I heard in Cantonese as a child did have a country music element - this sometimes reflected my evaluation and personal thoughts of my experience listening to McGurk.

So I decided to think what was in my mind, including to think more about McGurk and my reasons of listening changes - which sometimes incorporated my thinking about the simulcast of KRTY's "Gary and Julie in the Morning" over on KLIV (referring to Gary Scott Thomas and Julie Stevens), as well as Randy Jones (9AM-2PM on KRTY; 3-7PM on KLIV), and KLIV fan favorite John McLeod. I also took a listen to McLeod, of which he now hosts his own show from 10AM to 3PM, plus traffic updates between 3-6PM on KLIV.

KRTY morning host Julie Stevens noticed my tweet about my article on "McGurk" shortly after my post, and so she decided to notify McGurk and tell him about my blog that I wrote on McGurk - yes, the son of the morning host on KRTY. Yes, I do tweet randomly, but I also handle 2 other social media tags as well - one of them has the same handle as my tweets. I was almost unaware that McGurk apparently decided to share my blog to prove how I have proved to be a big fan of his unique voice - although more in a country way compared to how I listened to Kris Rowberry when he was doing the news. 

Meanwhile, the combination of "Gary and Julie in the Morning" on weekdays and McGurk on Saturday mornings has nearly completely entertained my mornings using the unique voice of country music in Santa Clara County. However, listening to any San Jose Earthquakes' or a San Jose State game continues to be my favorite part about KLIV overall despite the change in format to country music and changing between KLIV and KRTY on the radio dials all day trying to interchange between Gary Scott Thomas, Randy Jones, and John McLeod - and sometimes McGurk. 

For both "Gary and Julie in the Morning" and McGurk, country music in Silicon Valley also reminds me of the Gilroy Garlic Festival, of which garlic is the main ingredient in many of the Asian dishes that I cook often with. I so far heard nothing about whether any of the personalities from KRTY would make appearances at the Garlic Festival, and if any of them are garlic fans. But looking forward to both "Gary and Julie in the Morning" and Adam McGurk is one of my favorite things about tuning in to KLIV and KRTY as country music stations. While listeners like me do love the voice of Gary Scott Thomas, I also like the unique voice of Adam McGurk, knowing that McGurk cares about the Silicon Valley and his fans like me - that's probably why I'm a big fan of McGurk! Since McGurk did notice my tweets, he's another reason why I'm probably having fun interacting on all of my available social media platforms...

The sad part is that because McGurk is very busy with his schedule, I'll probably have a very slim chance of seeing him in person. If I do happen to see him in person, I would thank him for inviting me to listen to his unique voice on KRTY every Saturday morning without interruption. 

Original Work: Kyle Chak
Email: chak595301@gmail.com
Twitter: @KyleSChak
#OnlyOnKyle
NOTE FROM BLOGGER: Please be careful of how you pronounce my last name - it's not pronouncing the word "Chalk." Think of words like "bat" and "calf" using the "a" vowel, which is part of how my last name is pronounced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The editor of this blog has the right to edit or delete any comments that involves the use of any offensive language. Please be considerate to people that has commented on my post. This is not a social networking site, so please use proper formatting. If linked via Facebook, the editor asks that all questions and comments are to be posted on Facebook.