Monday, August 31, 2015

Part One of Two - Chak's Take: Why is this Blogger a Huge Fan of Ron Gleeson?

"I am in a place I never thought I would be in. The executive editor of the Spartan Daily - a title that seem unobtainable when I stepped into the newsroom nearly a year ago." This was a quote from Ron Gleeson, who stepped in as the Executive Editor of the Spartan Daily at the beginning of 2012.

For many years, I always wanted to meet the guy that had a lot of great passion in writing his great stories, but in person instead of just communication on social media. There are many reasons why he led the way in knowing how San Jose State Spartan sports teams will affect attendance in a certain way, especially football. I decided to give my take on my explanation of being a huge fan of Gleeson in a two-part blog.

COLLECTION OF ARTICLES

After my Live Oak High School graduation in 2007, I moved up on to Gavilan College in Gilroy, which lasted four years before transferring to San Jose State University. I was not sure of how my education adventure will go, and the uncertainty of my future at that time, but since I began my journey at SJSU, I have been collecting newspapers and a few selected articles written by Ron Gleeson, who I heard was one of the best guys around. Over the course of two semesters, I decided to pick up each day of the Spartan Daily and look for any articles written by Gleeson. Most of the articles that I've picked up was stored in a box at my San Martin nest.

Not every Spartan Daily newspaper picked up contains an article written by Gleeson. Some sports articles are from either the Spartan Daily staff or from an outside source instead of Gleeson. When I factored in many of the Spartan Daily newspapers I picked up, I managed to select a few articles written by Gleeson, from Spartan football to his take as an executive editor of the Daily.

Out of all the articles I read in the Daily, it appears that Glesson's favorite subject to write about is football! I certainly had a curiosity as to why I think football is probably his favorite fall subject, even though the San Francisco Giants are his favorites. He does mention MacIntyre in the article - the former Spartan coach seemed to have followed his dream of success. In my overall evaluation, his articles that I reviewed from my box were in-depth, and sometimes, he gives his take on local sports that he really loves. 

MEETING HIM IN PERSON?

If I wanted to meet Glesson in person, he'll probably have to send me a request so that the second part of this blog can continue, but for my part? It's going to be very tough based on schedule, especially when I have a tight schedule on weekdays. The problem is mainly with the availability of time. The main question that I can ask him in person about how he first came to San Jose and what his favorite part about San Jose is, as well as Bay Area sports. For now, he'll just have to sneak in my mobile number (yes, he can text me, which is preferred) and my social media pages, including Instagram and Twitter, something that he probably never knew. I so far have never heard from him via talk or text on my cell phone yet. But the good news is that his articles have influenced my decision to write my own experience in my blogs.

The second part of my blog on Ron Gleeson will only occur when I see him in person, as will my sixth and my most favorite article that he covered.

Original Work: Kyle Chak
E-mail: chak595301@gmail.com
Twitter: @KyleSChak
BONUS: These photos are from my box safely stored at my San Martin Nest. The photos contain five memorable articles that were written by Ron Gleeson.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The editor of this blog has the right to edit or delete any comments that involves the use of any offensive language. Please be considerate to people that has commented on my post. This is not a social networking site, so please use proper formatting. If linked via Facebook, the editor asks that all questions and comments are to be posted on Facebook.