Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Looking Back So Far: Soulful Obsession's Great Memories


Does any people around here remember Soulful Obsession playing their gigs at San Jose State University? It was August 2011. Lily Tran, Kosuke Okamura, Veno Bender, and Bennett Roth-Newell have come up together to form their band called Soulful Obsession. Their first recording happened nearly a year later, and eventually, their debut happened in 2013. Soulful Obsession to me represents a multi-cultural music element, in which one of the elements involves playing various instruments. My only music methods are my own voice and via playing the piano at a young age. 

From my late-elementary school years to about the mid-part of my middle school in the city of Morgan Hill, California, my listening music interest have increased as part of trying to relieve my stress, even long after my piano lessons stopped as a result of cost affordability. But my memories of listening to music still lingered on into my high school years, eventually going to Gavilán College and finally San Jose State University where music is still part of my effort to undo the stress despite being an English major.

My music listening evolution have increasingly included many anime-themed music sung by Japanese artists that were featured in many anime series; some of which have been made available for purchase online. Electronic Dance Music (EDM) and techno music also came on board not long after. However, Soulful Obsession has a unique ability - they represents different ethnicities and people of different origins, including their deep roots, regardless of their instruments or their singing abilities. 

I first met the Soulful Obsession crew not long after I made my debut at SJSU, though at that time, I was undeclared. The scene took place near the residential hall building on the main SJSU campus, with plenty to cheer about. The main attraction was the voices of both Veno and Bennett, whose rap effects on their voices have my greatest inspiration and have grooved me very well. 

One of my most surprising moments of Soulful Obsession is that I have surprised Lily during the show, and at the end, Lily treated me to a Treatbot dessert! Her great inspiration have lead me to follow her on social media. I do thank her for the food that she gave me that day, which was one of my memorable moments. I eventually have my favorite flavor at Treatbot which is fruity and delicious - Mango Pomegranate Sorbet. 

Whenever I'm at a venue that involves Soulful Obsession, I would like to share my experience on any of my social media pages. Although all four now follow me on my Instagram, I may from time-to-time tweet or Instagram about my experience whenever they are on the scene playing music. Only Lily, who is the lead singer, have so far connected with me on more than one social media page. 

I have often dreamed in my sleep that one day, Soulful Obsession would be inviting me over to their party when I graduate from SJSU, as I often miss them a lot, mainly because they are busy. I have often tried to cheer Soulful Obsession as they show great promise being a multicultural band with great talent. 

Will Soulful Obsession play again at SJSU anytime soon? Personally, I can't directly answer the question, but whenever they are ready to play again, I am always excited and ready. Perhaps Lily, Kosuke, Veno, and Bennett have a few words they would like to say to me as the four members of Soulful Obsession. My personal message to Soulful Obsession as a whole: "You are one local awesome band."

Original Work: Kyle Chak
E-mail: chak595301@gmail.com
Twitter/Instagram: @KyleSChak

No comments:

Post a Comment

The editor of this blog has the right to edit or delete any comments that involves the use of any offensive language. Please be considerate to people that has commented on my post. This is not a social networking site, so please use proper formatting. If linked via Facebook, the editor asks that all questions and comments are to be posted on Facebook.