Saturday, March 14, 2015

CBC's Marketplace: My Take on Some of my Best Episodes Watched

Vacationers like me and Canadian viewers love to know what is definitely wrong with someone trying to rip them off. So the duo of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) television show called Marketplace has anyone's back. The show to me is described as Canadian's consumer investigative show. In this blog, I give my take about two more episodes that caught my eye, as well as my short take on why Marketplace is my favorite show. The two episodes referenced below is something that I want to talk about.

FIGHTING FOR FIDO

Some of the episodes tackle issues that one from another area that also tacked the same issue in the United States. Fighting for Fido is one of the shows that showed how animals got sick by eating treats from a Canadian perspective. San Francisco Bay Area is the first and original place where a dog's owner that resides in Morgan Hill, California got sick from eating jerky treats made in China in 2012, as reported by KNTV television. I almost felt horrified of hearing some serious sickness from pets in Canada and the United States. It nearly mimicked the same story that aired on KNTV by reporter Vicky Nguyen in terms of subject matter, though I thought that the perspective is not the same because of the way the word gets out to people. Many Americans and Canadians who either tuned in or saw the story online probably knew the story on a Morgan Hill family have eventually spread nationwide and eventually into Canada. (Morgan Hill is about 10 miles, or 16 kilometers, from the capital of Santa Clara County, San Jose.) So far, no health officials can confirm the ingredient in question as reported. And to me, figuring out why there is nothing new about sickening pets is scarce. Therefore, the mystery behind it all still remains.

PRICE COMPARISON TODAY?

One other example that I wanted to bring up is shopping comparison between the United States and Canada in the episode called Price Wars. The episode was on Tom Harrington shopping in Toronto and Erica Johnson shopping about 20 miles south of the U.S.-Canadian boarder in Bellingham, Washington. That part of the story caught my attention, as I do look at items from the three stores mentioned in the segment - Target, Walmart, and Home Depot. While Target may have shuttered its operations in Canada, I focused on prices on brand-name products. The question in particular is how the prices between the U.S. and Canada fare long after Harrington and Johnson aired their story on price comparisons. The only store not mentioned in the video was Costco, a Washington state-based company with operations throughout Canada, including a store I saw in Richmond, British Columbia during my June 2014 vacation.

I decided to shop around for any price comparison at Home Depot and Walmart, using my Ibotta app at all times while in the stores. Instead of Bellingham, where Erica Johnson shopped at, I replaced them with Walmart stores Morgan Hill and Gilroy, and a Home Depot store in Pleasanton (city in eastern Alameda County). 

At Walmart stores in Morgan Hill and Gilroy, I found that a Great Value Rainbow Sherbet is $2.97, and a Great Value Frozen Orange Juice is $1.53. If you opt for a Great Value Premium Instant Coffee, the price is $4.48. If you opt for some Great Value Shredded Hash Browns, it will cost you $2. 

At a Home Depot in Pleasanton, I wanted to look at toilets, of which all of them are American Standard. Three types of toilets appeared, all with a 10 rating. What does a 10 represent? The answer is simple - a 10 represents that the toilet performs best, while a 1 performs the worst. About five years ago, when I bought an American Standard Champion 4 toilet, the test revealed a 10 because of the need to not clog often, and the improved performance convinced me to buy that toilet. 

For the price, American Standard has three choices between variations of the Cadet 3, the Champion 4 Max, and the newly introduced Optum VorMax (toilet that is designed to clean the entire bowl). The Cadet 3 cost $188, and $10 less for both the dual-flush and the 10" rough-in variations. If users want the Optum VorMax, you must shell out $288, while the Champion 4 Max toilet goes for $219 (normally $238).

Both Johnson and Harrington have yet to compare prices at Costco stores. Personally, I wish that both Johnson and Harrington would compare and shop there. I heard that while the prices may be in huge bulks, I believe it may be worth the trip to try it out. 

WHY MARKETPLACE?

So why is Marketplace is considered my favorite Canadian television show? The main reason to me has something to do with not only personality, but how fun and entertaining the duo really are. Out of a scale between 1 (the least entertaining) to 10 (the most entertaining), I gave my overall rating of a 9. In some of the shows like "Fighting for Fido," "Canada's Restaurant Secrets," "Price Wars," and "The Dirt on Hotels," (the latter including the sequel) those three shows are very entertaining in one way - they alert consumers on things that may inconvenience customers, sometimes on a wide scale

The next time that I'm back in Vancouver on vacation, I think Harrington and Johnson would want me to watch more of Marketplace - they're the ones that give viewers and vacationers from outside of Canada great advice on things to look out for. While I may not be able to watch Marketplace all the time in the United States (due to some restrictions), I do look forward to hearing about anything that may inconvenience all of us, both in Canada & the United States. 

While the Vancouver metro area is the first-ever Canadian metropolitan area that I've ever visited, I do look forward to seeing more of Canada the next time I do come back to Canada for my vacation from Santa Clara County. Perhaps I should discuss my experience in Canadian hotels next time, tuning in to Tom Harrington and Erica Johnson in CBC's Marketplace. 

EDITOR'S NOTE: This blog is written in American English as the blog originates from Santa Clara County, California. Units  in this blog are in imperial units instead of metric units (e.g. 65 MPH is ~105kmh, 10 miles is ~16km). No pictures or videos are embedded in this blog due to restrictions, as all copyrights related herein, if any, belong to their respective owners. The author does his best of respecting the rules of writing blogs when possible. The author of this blog does not have control over external links. Any infringement of this blog will be subject to action. The author reserves the right to revise the blog, including upon request. Any of my blogs, including this blog, is subject to removal at any time, including upon request.

Original Work: Kyle Chak
E-mail: chak595301@gmail.com
Twitter: @KyleSChak

No comments:

Post a Comment

The editor of this blog has the right to edit or delete any comments that involves the use of any offensive language. Please be considerate to people that has commented on my post. This is not a social networking site, so please use proper formatting. If linked via Facebook, the editor asks that all questions and comments are to be posted on Facebook.