Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Past - Remembering Chef Tyler Stone - Chef with Great Fun!

You probably could name all of the light rail stations going to San Mateo, where there is one chef that is one of my favorite attractions... Santa Teresa, Cottle, Snell, Blossom Hill, Ohlone-Chynoweth... Branham, Capitol, Curtner, Tamien, Virginia... Children's Discovery Museum, Convention Center, Paseo de San Antonio, Santa Clara... Then on VTA and SamTrans bus systems, arriving eventually at the San Mateo County Fair... The destination with all the fun and all the discoveries... That is how I got to the scene back in 2013. While not as large as the Alameda County Fair, San Mateo's version is somewhat large enough for a lot of fun, even for the whole family.

But how I got there was planned in part by using trip planning sites. For the three days I was there, my travel method is generally using my Clipper card from VTA's Santa Teresa station to downtown San Jose at the Santa Clara (Street) Station, which I transferred to a bus and eventually SamTrans and back, with the exception of at least one of my return trips being on Caltrain and VTA's light rail. The systems are part of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission's Clipper Card program, who currently serves most of the Bay Area, with more transit agencies to follow suit.

Bargain hunting was only part of how I spent my three days at the San Mateo County Fair. Yes, I meant hunting for the best deals around town. But out of my three days, none of the items were interesting apart from another cooking demonstration provided by an unknown chef that also have appeared at the Gilroy Garlic Festival.

In another hall is a cooking demonstration. There is no Jacques Pepin, who I wish that he would appear on stage for a public demonstration of his cooking skills, including my favorite part of how his method of breaking his eggs against a flat surface instead of a bowl would prevent contamination. But on the stage is not Pepin, who he is typically busy with other important things. Instead, there was a guy who was revealed to be Chef Tyler Stone, who his personal chef business is based out of California's state capital, Sacramento. The first time I purchased Stone's book, "The Kid's Cooking" (released in 2006), I read a little about his bio and learned that since he was four, his passion for being a cook grew dramatically. In addition, the front cover of his book revealed that their parents was part of Stone's dedication to his great passion.

Chef Stone was seen on national television programs, such as Top Chef. On local Sacramento television, he did cooking demonstrations - for instance, a search on KCRA's YouTube page uncovered at least three videos. Chef Stone does show great promise on his overall abilities. He did tell me at one time that he would love to do a gig in the future at the Gilroy Garlic Festival.

One of the most interesting things about the chef is that his mom is the manager! I recalled from my past that she was very polite and wonderful, as Stone was encouraged to follow his dream of being a chef.

In his off-time, when Chef Stone is not cooking, one of his favorite things to watch is anime, who his friend from Japan creates kitchen knives as Stone distributes them to consumers throughout the United States. I was unsure of Stone's favorite anime shows, though, but one example that reminded me of his cooking experience is Yakitate Japan. He would probably know something on food-related anime topics. Chef Stone probably never recalled seeing me on that day at the event, but I'll be surprised if Stone does read and rings me up via e-mail, or on my Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram pages. (For Facebook, keep in mind that I generally do not read messages unless the person is on my "Friend" list for my personal safety.)

But who knows if I'll ever see Chef Stone in person again, and if I will ever see him at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. The storyline will, at the least, continue whenever I do get a chance to see him. For now, I'll try one of his recipes from his cookbook. 

Happy Cooking to all! 


EDITOR'S NOTE(S):
1. You can connect with Chef Tyler Stone on Twitter and Facebook. He has an online site where anyone can purchase his products, including the lemon vinegar, various seasonings, kitchen knives, and his signed cookbook, "The Kid's Cooking." Those can be ordered online by clicking here.

2. Click here for the site of Chef Tyler Stone. Besides ordering his goodies, users can learn more on his cooking experience.


Original Work: Kyle Chak
E-mail: chak595301@gmail.com
On Twitter/Instagram: @KyleSChak

No comments:

Post a Comment

The editor of this blog has the right to edit or delete any comments that involves the use of any offensive language. Please be considerate to people that has commented on my post. This is not a social networking site, so please use proper formatting. If linked via Facebook, the editor asks that all questions and comments are to be posted on Facebook.